Who doesn’t love to be on the patio in these beautiful Minnesota and Wisconsin summers? I absolutely love sitting out on a friend’s patio while grilling, and enjoying the great company! Although, I love to do this, I do know that my friend needs to make sure that they are safe when having friends and family over.
Do you love to entertain? If so, check out these simple 5 safety tips for this summer on the patio.
1. Make sure that the patio is safe for your guests. This means that you need to make sure that you don’t have any hazards in your patio area for your guests to be injured on. Making sure that you are not negligent for anything when having guests over is very important. For example, don’t have nails hanging out of the deck wood for guests to step on. Check out this blog regarding keeping your deck clean, click here!
2. Keep your grill in tip-top shape. Make sure that you have a clean grill, and a safe one. Make sure that you inspect your grill for holes, cracks, or leaks in the hoses. Make sure that you always have your LP tank in a safe and upright position. The last thing that you want to happen on a nice summer patio date is for a fire to happen due to your grill.
3. Enjoy a fire pit, but make sure it’s not too close to the house. Roasting marshmallows over the fire is one of the greatest summer traditions, at least it’s mine! Even though roasting marshmallows or having a bonfire in general is fun, you still need to make sure that you have great fire safety. Make sure that you also always check your local weather to make sure that the timing is okay to have a bonfire. Whenever there are winds it is common to avoid starting a bonfire. Also, make sure that whenever you set up your fire pit that it is away from your home or any structure so that you don’t have the chance of catching anything on fire.
4. Entertain responsibly. Summer drinks are great, but make sure that you are able to have your guests safely leave your patio party by the end of the night. Check out this great blog regarding hosting a party and liability with drinking, click here!
5. Make sure you have the right liability coverage. Do you have a renter’s insurance policy or homeowner’s policy? Having either one of these policies is a great way to protect yourself from any damage done to someone else at your home whether you were negligent or not. Both renter’s and homeowner’s policies will include medical payment coverage and limits of liability. Giving your local agent a call, or contacting us, will be the best way to make sure that you are covered with enough liability coverage to protect yourself.
We hope that you enjoy your summer patio season with family and friends, but make sure to use these 5 safety tips when hosting any party or enjoying a day out in the sun on the patio!
Image courtesy of khongkitwiriyachan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net