You’re a person, not a policy.
We’re creating Peace of Mind for the People we Care About.

Though it may be difficult to imagine, the U.S. Small Business Administration says that more than half of all businesses in the U.S. are operated out of the home of the business owner. Regrettably, some of those home-based business owners feel that they don’t require any special insurance policies to defend their business from the liabilities they are exposed to everyday as a normal part of their company’s activity.

Some assume that is because their homeowners insurance will protect them, while others don’t realize how vulnerable to liability they truly are.

Comprehending the need for insurance for home-based businesses is critical, and it’s something all home-based business owners should determine before the policy is actually needed. If you are a home-based business owner, here are some examples of insurance to consider:

Workers’ compensation coverage

If you have employees, then you may be forced to have workers’ compensation insurance. Workers’ compensation insurance guarantees that your employees can recover some part of their income if they can’t work as the result of an injury that occurred while on the job. Because you are accountable for maintaining a safe workplace for your employees, workers’ compensation insurance protects your business from being taken to court if an employee were injured while working. So even if your company is small enough that you are not legally required to carry it, this is still an important coverage to consider.

General liability insurance

If a client or customer were to come into your office, your business would be responsible for any injuries they obtained. Likewise with employees who work out of your home with you. Your company could even be liable if a delivery person with a package for your company were injured while delivering it. It is important to acknowledge that your business is liable for these injuries. Of course, that really means that you are liable – but not on a personal level. Your home insurance covers the personal liabilities you have when a friend or guest is hurt in your home. But most homeowners policies exclude those liabilities related to the operation of a home-based business. A business liability policy (also called a general liability policy) can be obtained separately in order to provide enough liability protection. In some instances, endorsements can be added to your homeowners insurance policy to allow it to cover these business liabilities.

Commercial property insurance

If your home is burglarized and your personal items are taken, then your homeowners policy will generally compensate you for your losses. But if your business articles are stolen from your home, it is doubtful that the homeowners insurance policy will cover their loss, unless you've had that particular provision built into the policy. Instead, a commercial property insurance policy that protects your business property could be applicable.

Professional liability

Depending on the profession you work in, you might need a professional liability policy. These protect you against liabilities specifically encountered by individuals working in your profession. Those liabilities can include errors and omissions insurance for those in the financial industry, malpractice insurance for those in the medical field, or the more generalized professional liability insurance.

As a home-based business owner, with a little time and some proper planning, you can position yourself to minimize or avoid insurable risks that could harm your bottom line.  Contact us today to see how we can help!

This article was prepared with a report from Insurance Technologies Corporation.  Image courtesy of cuteimage/

Posted 9:13 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014

View Mobile Version

Our Customer Feedback

"Great people to help you with insurance needs...."

-Toni Kunz
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
Social Icon Social Icon Social Icon Social Icon Social Icon Social Icon
Statements on this web site as to policies and coverages provide general information only. This information is not an offer to sell insurance. Insurance coverage cannot be bound or changed via submission of any online form/application provided on this site or otherwise, e-mail, voice mail or facsimile. No binder, insurance policy, change, addition, and/or deletion to insurance coverage goes into effect unless and until confirmed directly by a licensed agent. Any proposal of insurance we may present to you will be based upon the information you provide to us via this online form/application and/or in other communications with us. Please contact our office at 651-209-9330 to discuss specific coverage details and your insurance needs. All coverages are subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the actual policy issued. Not all policies or coverages are available in every state. Information provided on this site does not constitute professional advice; if you have legal, tax or financial planning questions, you should contact an appropriate professional. Any hypertext links to other sites are provided as a convenience only; we have no control over those sites and do not endorse or guarantee any information provided by those sites.
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder