You’re a person, not a policy.
We’re creating Peace of Mind for the People we Care About.

Do you have an old dairy barn on your premises? Did you just put up a new 30’x40’ storage garage? Are you operating a new business out of your garage? Do you board someone’s horse in an outbuilding on your premises? And most importantly, do you know if your homeowner’s insurance provides coverage for these buildings, and if so, is that coverage enough? Sue Gerlach, a veteran personal lines underwriter with West Bend, will discuss insurance coverage for other structures.

Most homeowner’s policies automatically provide coverage for “Other Structures” on your premises. However, there’s a limitation on the amount that would be paid if there’s a loss to the structure(s). The amount covered would not be more that 10% of the limit of liability that applies to your home.

So does your policy provide enough coverage to replace your “Other Structure(s)”? If not, you can purchase additional coverage by adding the form – Other Structures-Additional Limit to your policy.

It’s possible your insurance company may want to limit coverages on some structures, like an old dairy barn. In that case, the company may offer actual cash value coverage only and limit the amount it will pay for a loss. Or there may be a structure on your premises that’s in poor condition. The insurance company may choose to exclude this structure from coverage until it’s repaired.

So, if you have outbuilding(s) on your property, You first need to determine if your homeowner’s policy will provide coverage to your outbuilding(s). Then ask yourself these questions:

    -If you use the outbuilding for business, is it a business that can be insured under your homeowner’s policy or do you need a separate commercial policy? 

    -Do you store business property in the “Other Structure”?

    -If so, what type of business property is it?

    -Is there a structure on your residence premises that you rent to others for dwelling purposes? If so, you need to add a form titled – Structures Rented to Others- Residence Premises.

    -Do you have a personal storage structure, off your residence premises, that’s not capable of being used for a dwelling? To provide coverage for this structure, you need to add a form titled – Specific Structures Away from Residence Premises.

If you have any questions or concerns about coverage for your outbuildings (Other Structures), be sure to contact us. We can make sure you have the appropriate coverages.

Image courtesy of Simon Howden at

Posted 6:00 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014

View Mobile Version

Our Customer Feedback

"Great people to help you with insurance needs...."

-Toni Kunz
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
Social Icon Social Icon Social Icon Social Icon Social Icon Social Icon
Statements on this web site as to policies and coverages provide general information only. This information is not an offer to sell insurance. Insurance coverage cannot be bound or changed via submission of any online form/application provided on this site or otherwise, e-mail, voice mail or facsimile. No binder, insurance policy, change, addition, and/or deletion to insurance coverage goes into effect unless and until confirmed directly by a licensed agent. Any proposal of insurance we may present to you will be based upon the information you provide to us via this online form/application and/or in other communications with us. Please contact our office at 651-209-9330 to discuss specific coverage details and your insurance needs. All coverages are subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the actual policy issued. Not all policies or coverages are available in every state. Information provided on this site does not constitute professional advice; if you have legal, tax or financial planning questions, you should contact an appropriate professional. Any hypertext links to other sites are provided as a convenience only; we have no control over those sites and do not endorse or guarantee any information provided by those sites.
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder